Friday 11 February 2011

Marina ABRAMOVIC

BALKAN BAROQUE 1997


balkan-baroque-135325_0x440.jpg


The center piece of an epic performance, Abramovic sat on a pile of 1,500 beef bones, cleaning  everyone of them everyday for six hours for five days. She sang folk song's from here childhood. This extreme performance would take it's toll on the artist, citing dedication to the theatrical and real nature of the piece. She did so to shed the tragedy of war and the internal conflicts of herself as a right of passage. I could not find the video of this to realise the potential power of the work. The scale and deeply personal fixation of the work is why I choose to recognise the work, I'm trying to look deeper in myself, but I'm finding it difficult to get a fixed position on my internal feelings. What is my agenda? 

No comments:

Post a Comment